Saturday, May 1, 2010

Other Forms of Life




I'm not sure if it's due to my insecurities as a parent, or if it's simply because I like pretty things . . . but there is an indescribable feeling I have when the green buds in my garden beds finally split and my world begins to show signs of color. My flowers are finally blooming!
As I said, it is an indescribable feeling but, of course, I have to try. The first feeling is a sense of accomplishment. No matter how many children I disappointed at work that day or how many times I didn't give Canon what he wanted that day or how many times I rolled my eyes at Barry for doing (or not doing) something I knew he would (or wouldn't) do beforehand, I have brought these petals to life. Though God created them, I nurtured them, and I could have easily killed them - and often have. But I didn't this time. This one made it.
The second feeling is a feeling of hope. If I can make a flower grow, what else am I capable of? Should I change my career path and become a professional gardener? The hot sun quickly rising above me assures me that I shouldn't. Should I spend more time making my yard even more beautiful than it is? The crying baby inside and my husband's tight hold on the funding assures me that I can't.

The third feeling is a sense of acceptance. After getting over myself and my arrogance at having simply watered a plant a couple of times a week, I have acceptance that, in this particular area of my life, this is the best that I can do. And I'm ok with that.
Because I do so love to see beautiful things, I joined Leslie and Tuan on a Garden Tour in Dothan. It was on this Garden Tour that my feeling of accomplishment turned to a feeling of humility. These gardens were perfectly amazing. They truly are indescribable so I've included some pictures to help guide you through our tour.
These first few pictures are of Ed's aunt's garden. It was, by far, the most beautiful of the gardens we toured. This first flower was very interesting to me. I'm not sure what it is called.
I have this fascination with Container Gardening. I think it's because I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I was very eager to take pictures of as many potted plants as I could.
A couple of the houses just had a little "extra" that I thought were worth remembering.
And these are just some things that I liked.
,

No comments:

Post a Comment