Monday, February 28, 2011

Beautiful Day

The Spirit himself bears witness to our spirit that we are God's children. Romans 8:16

Day of Life: 6

Despite the fact that we were surrounded by beeping machines and strangers walking in and out of our room, today felt more like what I remember a normal day being just after having a baby. Let me explain.

The morning started off with Tera behaving just a little too much like her big brother. She was very active, and the nurse (Helen) worried that she needed to calm down so that she would not lose too many calories. Her weight now down to 2 lbs. 3 ounces, she really doesn't have that many to waste. Though she had been under the bilirubin lights the day before, they were stimulating her too much. The doctors also think that losing the lights might benefit the PDA (opening between her heart and lungs) that they are hoping will close on its own very soon. They have also withheld feedings today because she had too much residual left in her belly after her last feeding yesterday evening, about the same time that they found the yellow-green spit up. This digestion problem is also probably due to a blood flow issue, which relates back to the PDA. So today will just be a day of waiting. Waiting to see what the PDA will do. Waiting to see if she can start taking milk again. Waiting to see if her bili numbers stay low. Just waiting, and I'm ok with that.
When MyGoo and I arrived at the hospital, the lights were off, and there was a blanket draped over Tera's Giraffe. The bottom half of her body was swaddled, and she just looked so cozy. Early in the afternoon, Helen turned her over on her belly. Laying on their stomachs makes it easier for premies to breathe. After turning her over and reswaddling her lower half, Tera was out for the day.


She would raise her eyebrows to try to open her eyes and look around on occasion, but for the most part she stayed very calm. I loved getting to see her whole face now that her "sunglasses" are off. I think of my grandmother everytime I look at her. Not sure if she'll look like Sister in a few months, but for now she's taken on a little-old-lady appearance. I'm growing more attached every second.


Later in the afternoon, Helen gave Tera a pacifier because she saw that Tera really liked to suck on the sponge they use to swab her mouth. It's half the size of her face, but still so precious. Below is one of the diapers she is wearing these days. I didn't know they made them so tiny.


While Tera slept, MyGoo and I spent most of the day either with our feet propped up or staring at Tera. I had some logistical things to take care of, but otherwise it was a very relaxing day. We had several visitors come by, not unlike what our house would be like if we were there. That's why I say today was as much like a regular new-baby day as I can imagine right now.
When MyGoo and I left the hospital, we stopped to eat at the Purple Onion, one of my favorite restaurants when I was in college. While there, Barry called to say a quick "hello" and "good night." During our conversation, Canon started screaming so Barry went to check out the situation. Canon had pushed the railing from his crib off of its track, and I think it must have scared him. I stayed on the line to try to talk Barry through how to fix it. While he fixed, Canon picked up the phone and started talking to me. One of the things that we always do before bed is sing together. Canon loves it. I started singing "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands," "ABC's," and "Head and Shoulder, Knees and Toes." Somewhere during our melody, Canon hit the mute button on the phone so I couldn't hear him sing along. Barry assured me later that he was singing and clapping his hands and as excited as ever. Once Barry fixed the crib, we all sang one more round of "Whole World" before the boys went to bed.

Though I felt extremely awkward singing nursery rhymes in the middle of a restaurant, this will always be one of my fondest parenting memories . . . the night that Barry and I successfully entertained a two-year-old and fixed a piece of furniture, all while two hundred miles apart. Maybe God did know what he was doing when he gave us Tera.

1 comment:

  1. Deborah,
    I'm a friend of Kristen Wallace's and due with my 2nd about a week before Tera was due. She told me your story because she knows how powerful prayer is.
    I also have a friend whose daughter was born at 28 weeks. Merideth will turn 12 (I think)this June and is an amazing young girl. I babysat her and her 2 older brothers when I first moved to SC in 2004. Her mom has shared her story with me many times. I as well as my Sunday School class is praying for your family. I look forward to seeing Tera's progress.

    Jeremiah 29:11

    In His Grip,
    Kelbe Lawson

    ReplyDelete