Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Spouse-less Anniversary and a Child-less Father's Day

We didn't mean for our Anniversary/Father's Day weekend to turn out this way, but as we've learned in the last four months, Expect the Unexpected.

The original plan was for Barry to take Canon to the lake for the weekend and leave Tera and me at the house to relax. There were going to be lots of people at the lake, and I'm still just a little nervous about Tera being in big crowds. Instead, my mom and sister made plans to come visit us for the day on Sunday, and we would spend the rest of the weekend doing what we do best . . . not much of anything. After a couple of days with this train of thought, it suddenly seemed silly that we should sit at home alone. MyGoo and Doc invited us to come to their house, thus saving Tera and me a weekend of boredom and saving MyGoo and Ann Steiner some gas money on Sunday. Because I would now have a couple of extra sets of adult eyes, we also decided to let Canon stay with us in Greenville so that Barry could get a much needed weekend away. It really did just happen to be our Anniversary/Father's Day weekend.

The Moss Family drove to Montgomery together to meet MyGoo and Doc, who then drove me and the youngin's back to Greenville (still not ready for long roadtrips with Tera alone in the backseat, or worse . . . with Canon beside her!!). To say the least, the weekend was fun but not exactly what I would call relaxing. Anyone with children would probably attest that taking care of kids becomes much more difficult the farther you get from home. No matter what supplies you bring - snacks, train sets, movies, etc. - kids need more energy from their parents when they're away from their everyday surroundings. Canon epitomized this philosophy this weekend. Besides the normal two-year-old drama, Canon's new biggest issue is going to bed. At home, I can contain him pretty well and, though he cries a good bit, he eventually falls asleep without having one of us lie with him for too long. In this somewhat unfamiliar place, however, he not only needed me to lie with him until he fell asleep, it took him much longer to fall asleep. Saturday night, I spent two hours in the bed with him before I successfully snuck out without waking him up.

Thankfully, Doc bought some things to serve as reinforcements during the daylight hours. Canon's two favorite things: a pool and a water table.

Even Tera sat outside with us for awhile to watch the festivities.

While I was breathless trying to entertain Canon (I eventually figured out that he played better when I completely ignored him and let him come to me instead of me trying to force Fun Time on him), MyGoo, Doc, Ann Steiner and Jason were soaking up their Tera Time. Jason had never met Tera before this weekend, and Ann Steiner had only seen her twice but never held her.




I miss my relaxing week days, just the two of us . . .

. . . but it was really great to get some extra time with Canon. Barry has been so good about taking care of him on the weekends - and Canon just soaks his Daddy up - so when both Canon and Tera are together, I'm usually more focused on T. Though thoroughly exhausting, it was a fulfilling weekend. I asked Barry how he felt about being away from his wife on his Anniversary and his kids on Father's Day. Since he accidentally wished me a Happy Anniversary ten days ago (on June 8), I got the impression that, though he missed us terribly, he was having a good time right where he was.

On Saturday, some friends of my parents and sister threw the Second Annual White Trash Bash. After last year's event, everyone learned that if you don't go all out on your costume, you'll be even more ridiculed than if you show up looking absolutely ridiculous. So as not to be unprepared, MyGoo spent much of the afternoon preparing her costume, even picking up a few pieces for Doc to make his attire extra trashy. Here is Canon helping MyGoo pick out some jewelry. It's all about accessories!

And the final product:

MyGoo is dressed as "Miss Faded Glory." For those of you who are too sophisticated to buy clothes from WalMart, Faded Glory is WalMart brand clothing. Everything she's wearing (except the boots) are authentic Faded Glory pieces. Doc just went for All-Around Trashy. His shirt says "Never Fear, Grandpa is Here" and though it's hard to tell in the picture, he's wearing flip-top sunglasses. Though not on purpose, the kids look pretty trashy, too. Too bad they didn't get to attend the party. MyGoo and Doc offered to let me go for awhile, and though I had packed last year's Mule Day t-shirt, I was way to tired to have any kind of adult fun. Instead, I hung with my kids.

Doc cooked everyone hamburgers for lunch on Sunday, Father's Day. Leave it to my dad to do things for everyone else on Father's Day! Not surprisingly, Canon fell asleep in the high chair and didn't wake up until it was time to pack the car to go home.

I texted Barry to tell him that I would be buying lots of pretty things for myself after the "fun" weekend I'd had with both children. I don't know why, but I was really expecting him to write back, "Whatever you want!" or "You're the best!" or even "Just don't spend too much." Instead, I got a "It really makes you appreciate the father, doesn't it?" Since it was Father's Day, I let him have that one. We met him in Montgomery later in the day then started our last leg of the trip home. I'm so glad I don't have to work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment