Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What Will He Do Next?

In the last few weeks, we have seen some new developments in our already "very advanced" young son. Unfortunately, I am not the type of Mom who writes down every little thing on the day that it happens. Instead, I tend to recognize new things only after they have piled on top of lots of other new things. So, here's the run down of our ever-changing baby.

One day, a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting on the porch with Canon. I was sifting through websites that my students could use, and I had stopped momentarily on a site that had a pretty steady beat. Basically, it was low-key rave music (if there is such a thing). I looked at Canon (sitting in his own personal rocker) and saw that he was literally dancing to the music. His head bobbed in perfect rythm. I've attached a video to illustrate. Sorry the image is fuzzy. This is what happens when a glass lens moves quickly from a cold house to a warm, muggy porch.


Of course, I laughed hysterically and had him repeat his new trick over and over.

A couple of days later, we were driving to Winfield, and Canon grabbed my hand and stuck it in his mouth. He likes to put anything within reach in his mouth. I've been saying for months now that "he must be teething," but I had recently given up on this idea. Barry didn't cut his first tooth until he was almost one, so I wasn't holding out hope that this mini-Barry would be any different. . . Until, he chomped down on my finger, and something sharp scraped across my skin. After a closer look, I confirmed that there was, indeed, a tiny tooth pushing its way through his lower gum. I tried for a week to get a picture of it and was finally successful. I hate that I had to wait until he was crying to get a good one, but a Mom will do anything for a good photo-op.

Next on the list is the introduction of the sippy cup. This actually only lasted a couple of days because it was so unsuccessful, but we gave it a good shot.

Canon has been eating solids for awhile now, but he's steadily been increasing the amount he eats. I know how thirsty I get when I eat, so I thought he might feel the same. His bottle is just too filling to take with other food, so I asked the doc about juice. Once I got the go ahead, I went ahead. Canon mostly loved to hold it and toss it around. Occasionally, he would accidentally suck on the sipper and get some juice in his mouth. When he didn't automatically spit it out, he'd make a that-was-the-worst-thing-I've-ever-put-in-my-mouth face, then start chewing on the sipper again. We'll try again later.

Another of Canon's new endeavors is expanding his vocabulary. While "da-da" were the first legible sounds he uttered, he now sticks mainly to "ma-ma-ma-ma" and "ba-ba-ba-ba." It's pretty funny to watch him "talk." His lower jaw looks detached from the rest of his mouth as it bobs up and down. Sometimes he'll just make the mouth motions without any sound. Here is a short video of his babbling. The camera is a bit of a distraction for him, so he usually quits talking when I turn it on. There's not too much on here, but still too cute not to share.

Finally, the big one. Though he's probably still weeks away from crawling, Canon is making giant strides toward this feat. While staying with Nonna and Poppa, he began getting up on his knees and rocking once or twice before plopping back down on his stomach. While we were on the dock at the lake, I caught him practicing.

Since then, he's gotten much better. He rocks several times, then falls on his belly while trying to move forward. He at least seems to want to go somewhere. For awhile I was thinking that he was so laid back, he might always be content with just staying where he was. He seems to be growing out of this phase. He's also currently working on going from his tummy to sitting up all by himself. He gets in the right position to make the transition, but he just can't figure out how to move all that weight from horizontal to vertical.

It's amazing how quickly this little guy learns (I know, I know . . . all babies learn quickly). One day, he's not even thinking about doing something, and the next day he seems to be almost an expert. What will he do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment