Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Nursery, A March, and Tera's Heart

Day of Life: 67

We'll start with everyone else's excitement today, then move on to Tera's excitement. I think I've mentioned before that MyGoo and my sister, Ann Steiner, were planning on redecorating our nursery for Tera. Today was the day for that. They, along with Doc, drove to Dothan to spend the day on this newest project. I got various updates throughout the day, even a few "What did you want to do with _____?" questions, but I realized when I saw the pictures how much they really did. First is Tera's new room.

We got this daybed from Leslie and Grant right before Canon was born. Our original idea was that this would be Canon's bed in their shared room. Now, however, I think it will be my bed when I refuse to leave Tera in here alone.



Tera's new bedding. I didn't think I wanted anything specifically for her (why can't she sleep in Canon's airplane nursery?) but I am so glad that they changed my mind.



This is my favorite chair in the house and where I will be spending most of my time this summer.



And now Canon's Big Brother room. This dresser was Canon's changing table in his nursery, but now it's just his dresser. We're going to have to rethink the TV. It's there because this is also our guest room, and because I like to fall asleep with the TV on, I like to have that option available for my overnight guests as well. But I'm as old-fashioned as my parents in thinking that children don't need TVs in their room. Just another thing that keeps them isolated from the family. I'll put it on my list of things to deal with later.



Canon's Big Brother bed. Barry's going to have to do all of the manual labor in getting him to sleep in it. Canon absolutely LOVES his crib and his pack n' play. He's only tried to climb out once or twice, and after hitting the floor, decided it really wasn't worth it. I think it's a security thing, maybe? He likes having the walls around him. Ann Steiner brought a bed rail to put up that hopefully will provide the same comfort for him.



Now, on to the March. The March of Dimes is an organization that, simply put, raises money for babies. There was one held in Birmingham, and Canon and I went to see what all the fuss was about. I had forgotten to ask Barry to bring my jogging stroller, so we weren't able to actually participate in the walk, but we did get to see the hundreds of people that did plan ahead and were ready to contribute.



The event was held in the UAB Quad. There were dozens of tents set up, some serving food and beverages.

This was taken just as the walk began.



There were blow-up jumpers for the kids to enjoy. Canon spent most of his time doing this:



I tried to push him in a couple of times, but he decided he'd rather just hang out along the perimeter and watch from a distance.

When he said that he was ready to go, we went to Starbucks for some breakfast.



Back in Dothan, my friend, Brandy, got a team together to walk in the local March of Dimes walk. This is Team Tera.



Don't I have the best friends? Leslie designed the t-shirts for everyone to wear (and one for me!). Even the kids got their own shirt (and one for Canon!).

These are Tera's "classmates." This is Harper . . .


. . .and Collins . . .


. . . and Eliza Jane . . .


. . . and Kinley, the newest member of the Dothan family.


And Canon's buddies, Colt . . .



. . . Julia . . .


. . . and Lola.


Here are a few pics they took throughout the morning.







Nice pose, Mandy!

At the last report. Team Tera raised over $700 for babies. We might have to make this an annual thing. My friends have been especially great at keeping me updated on everything that is going on at home while I am gone. They've even let me be a hostess to two baby showers that I couldn't even attend, much less help plan. I'll make it up to them eventually.

I think Tera appreciates everything they do, too.


Canon and I met Barry at the hospital in the late morning. We bummed our hot shower off of UAB today. I am happy to say that it is the first shower I have taken there in our entire stay. I know that might sound silly, but it's actually a real feat, for Tera anyway. It means that she has been healthy enough this whole time that I have never felt the need to spend the night just to make sure she made it through ok.

Barry took Canon to the park while I stayed to feed Tera. She's gained two more ounces, up to 5 pounds 6 ounces (2455 grams), and her feeds have been increased to 45cc. I held her only for about an hour before leaving again to find Barry and Canon for lunch. After eating, Barry spent he afternoon with Sam, and Canon and I went back to Lydia's for a nap. When we pulled into the neighborhood, the same dark windows that have been there for four days now greeted us again. I was dreading this nap because I just knew how hot and muggy it was going to be in the house. When I unlocked the door, however, my first realization was how cool it felt. Then, I noticed the light on in the stairwell! If I hadn't been holding a Dead Weight in the form of a sleeping Canon in my arms, I would have jumped up and down, maybe even sang something ridiculous at the top of my lungs. The power of power!

After Canon's nap, I went back to the hospital while Barry entertained Canon. When I got there, the nurse told me that she was just about to call. About ten minutes earlier, Tera's heart monitor had erupted in red - she had bradied again. The nurse grabbed two others for back-up (this is not like Tera at all)and rushed in to find a very blue and very limp baby. The nurse pinched her toe and popped her diaper and thrust the oxygen in her face until she finally came out of it, just as red and rosy as if nothing had happened. The nurse decided to change her diaper after this, and just as she was unwrapping it, Tera exploded with the biggest mound of poop the nurse could describe. Apparently, Tera had been straining so hard to go to the bathroom, that she made her own heart slow down. Her brain is still not mature enough to kick everything back into proper functioning when something like this happens, so she just kept pushing until her body was too weak from the lack of oxygen to do it anymore. I hope it was worth it! And I'm glad I wasn't there to witness it.

I decided to hold Tera Kangaroo style this afternoon. It has been awhile since we have gone skin-to-skin, and I thought a brady was a good excuse to try it again. After only an hour, it was time to leave again. Barry had plans to see a friend perform in a band, so I was on Canon duty tonight. The balance continues . . . Barry had him fed and bathed when I got back to Lydia's. All that was needed from me was a few bedtime stories and a rendition of "ABC's" and "Whole World" before Canon was quietly and comfortably in bed. I enjoyed the peace of a quiet house before falling asleep myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment