Saturday, March 13, 2010

The "It's-Not-Really-A-Birthday-Party" Birthday Party

Most of you probably know that Barry and I have vowed since before we ever thought about having children that we would not have a big birthday party for them until they were old enough to understand what a birthday party is. Well, I definitely ate my words on this one, and Barry desperately wishes I hadn't. Barry agreed that just having friends over was the best idea. We do this on a regular basis anyway, so what would be the big deal about doing it again on this night. This particular get-together would simply include one tiny cupcake for Canon to eat. We might even sing the Birthday song if Barry was feeling really generous. There would definitely be no presents, no invitations, and no big fuss made about the fact that this was Canon's birthday. I was on-board with this idea . . . until about January of this year. It just didn't seem right to not make it a little more special. I still wanted the simple get-together, but I wanted it to include more than one cupcake and the understanding that we were all there because it was Canon's birthday. I'll be the first to admit that I let my idea grow a little bigger than I had originally planned. I made invitations for Canon's friends (I swore I wouldn't do that). There was a banner with Canon's name on it (thanks to Mandy - it really was so cute and perfect for the party). And there were LOTS of cupcakes for the DOZENS of guests. It was worth it!

We (from now on, "we" refers to me and my girlfriends, not me and Barry) decided on a Bug theme because I wanted to have a picnic in the park. It turned out really cute. Mandy created the banner to look like a catepillar, I arranged the cupcakes to look the same, and Canon wore a shirt with a grasshopper applique. We threw blankets on the ground and carried nearly all of Canon's toys to the park.
Because the weather has been a bit unpredictable lately, we ended up moving the party inside toward the end. There we ate cake and opened presents. When it came time to eat cake, Amelia and Ceil (our nieces) wanted to sing the Birthday Song. Barry held both of them while they sang, and Canon was not happy about it. He insisted on being right in the middle of the music (and in his daddy's arms), so Barry held them all.

Canon didn't care too much about his cake. Even Barry smushing the cupcake in his face didn't help! He was more interested in the oranges and cheese.
Canon got so many great gifts - lots of toys and clothes to accommodate his growing mind and body.
Barry and I gave him a wagon for his birthday. Apparently, every child in Grove Park has a wagon, and who are we to deprive our own child!?! That morning before the party, Canon helped Sam put it together, then he enjoyed a ride around the park with his friends later that night.


He was a pretty good sport about the whole thing. He's always been pretty independent, so he spent some time playing by himself. All in all, I think he had a good time.



I really want to thank all of my wonderful friends (and my sister, who is also one of my best friends) for all of their help with the party. Like I said earlier, we have friends over all the time, but this time got me a little more frazzled than most, and I was so thankful to have so many friends who helped drag things to the park only to drag them back the house an hour later when it got too cold to stay outside. You guys are truly the greatest!
There were so many great pictures taken, so I'll share more of those now. I'll add more as I "borrow" them from other friends who took pictures.

Happy Birthday, MyGoo!


1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of Barry and the three kids! Sounds like a wonderful party! Happy Birthday Canon!

    ReplyDelete