Monday, May 16, 2011

Final Preparations

Day of Life: 83

Today was much like yesterday. More resting for Tera. More packing for me. Tera gained only a few grams last night, still at 6 pounds 7 ounces (2940 grams). I can't believe I'll be taking home such a big baby. I was so worried three months ago that she would be less than 5 pounds when we came home. I didn't know how I would hold her or, honestly, if I would even want to hold her. It's hard to cradle a baby that small. But here I am with a 6 1/2 pound baby - a real Chunker on this floor!

I am determined to keep her warm today. That means two blankets, two hats, two of everything if needed. Low body temperature is not keeping this baby in the hospital an extra day. I just hope it doesn't backfire, and she ends up with a fever.

I spent the morning packing up Tera's room. There was so much stuff, from clothes and blankets to snacks and memorabilia from our stay here. We've lived in four different rooms since we've been at UAB, so I've gotten pretty good at packing it up efficiently. I've also kept a lot of the boxes and bags that we've gotten over the weeks, which made things much easier.

I also held Tera and tried to record as many funny faces as possible. She's got lots of them!

Tera's pediatrician came by for one last visit. She will not be at the hospital tomorrow, and she wanted to make sure we still felt comfortable leaving tomorrow. Yes! She had given me her cell phone number weeks ago, and she reminded me to call her with anything I needed. I know she means it. She has every confidence that I really can handle all of this at home, and she knows that Tera is in great condition to leave. She suggested that I spend tonight at the hospital so that I can once again give Tera her night time feedings. This way, I will know if things aren't quite right when we get home because I would have fed her during all times of the day. I was fine with that, though not looking forward to sleeping on the plastic couch again. After a big hug from the pediatrician, she was gone for the day.

Just before lunch, our minister, Hays, and his son, Trey, came by to visit. They drove all the way from Dothan just to see us - or so they said! I warned them that we might be home soon and that they didn't have to waste the gas, but they insisted. Hays has been checking in with me regularly since we got here, and he wanted to see in person how great she was doing. He and Trey both agreed that she looked great. I think it's hard for everyone to believe how "normal" she looks. I hate to use that word - normal - but the night Tera was born, I was half expecting an alien to be pulled from my womb. But she wasn't, and everyday she has looked more and more like the baby I had been hoping she would look like.

I've been trying not to tell too many people that we're planning to come home tomorrow. I don't want to have to go back and report a False Alarm again. I did end up telling Hays and Trey today what our plans were, however, and I told Hays that if Tera really does come home tomorrow, I'll tell everyone that he healed her. He liked that idea.

After more packing, Lydia came by for one last visit with Tera. I know she is ready to have her normal life back at her house, but I know she will also miss us terribly. Thankfully, Lydia will go back to work on Wednesday for the first time since her knee surgery. I'm sure this will be a good distraction, at least until she can come down to see us when we give the go ahead for weekend visitors!

Lydia and I went back to her house so that I could finish packing the last of my things there. The "last of my things" ended up being about a dozen bags and boxes full of more and more junk. Barry's going to love this when he gets here tonight! About 8:30, Lydia took me back to the hospital for the last time. Barry came by about 10:00 when he got into town, just to say hey before going back to Lydia's to get a good night's rest. Don't I need that?! I ended up staying awake until Tera's midnight feeding. I have a feeling that I won't be getting much sleep tonight! Or tomorrow night. Or several month's worth of nights after that.

I've prayed diligently all day that this really is it. I feel ready to go this time. My only anxiety is over whether or not something will happen to her in the next 12 hours that will keep us here longer. I'm grateful beyond words for everything that has been done for her, but I'm ready to put my old and new knowledge about taking care of babies into practice. I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment