Monday, May 23, 2011

The Tiniest Three Month Old Baby

After only six days at home, Tera is three months old! It's very strange to think of her as a three-month-old baby. I know we've been together that long, but I still think of her as a newborn. Who knows? I might always think of her as that and never let her grow up.

As most of you know, I'm not much for scheduling professional photographers, especially when the doctors tell me I'm not allowed to take her anywhere but to the doctors' offices for awhile. So, just as with Canon at this age, I've taken some pictures on my own.

This is the dress that MyGoo made for Tera to wear home.




I really like this one with her little foot poking out at the bottom.

And these were just for fun. We have a lot of time on our hands these days, so I'm all about setting up a fake studio.


At three months old, Tera is a wonderful baby. I'm not sure what I expected, but she's absolutely perfect. She rarely cries. I mostly hear her cry when she's taking a nap in her bassinet and realizes that no one is holding her. While Canon was very independent, I can already tell Tera is going to be a Lap Baby. That serves me right for all the hours I spent holding her in the hospital while she napped. It seems that she has a hard time napping any other way.

She's a great sleeper at night, though. Once I've gotten her tightly swaddled, she'll usually sleep for at least four hours, sometimes even five or six! She still makes lots of noises, grunts and groans especially just after she's eaten. She's eating about 2 1/2 to 3 ounces in each bottle. I've started supplementing with formula in her night time bottles. I think this helps her sleep a little longer, and it gets her used to taking a little bit of formula.

I can't be sure, but my best guess is that she weighs about 7 pounds now. I tried weighing her on our scale. The first attempt gave me something close to 9 pounds, and the second was 7 exactly. I'm not even considering that this child weighs 9 pounds, so I'm going with the 7-pounder. This has been one of the strange transitions from the hospital to home. There, I knew exactly to the gram how much Tera weighed each day. Now, I'm using an unreliable scale and the fact that she gained about 1/2 pound each week in the hospital to estimate her weight. I just know that she's eating and sleeping and seems to be happy. She's also growing out of some of her preemie clothes. While this could be due to my poor drying skills, I think this is also a good sign that she is growing.

We have had a few choking scares over the last six days, but nothing compared to what I was originally worried about. It pretty much just feels like having a newborn at home. The only difference is that I am completely healed and, with the exception of needing to catch up on an hour or two of sleep during the day (which I rarely do), I'm ready to get up and go while Tera still needs some time to recuperate. She'll catch up with me in a few weeks, though, and we'll take over the town together!

No comments:

Post a Comment