Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Going . . . Going . . . Choke

Day of Life: 78

Tera is eleven weeks old today. It's hard to believe we've been here that long. In most ways, the time has flown by, but in others, I forget what it's like to be at home. I'm sure it will all come back to me quickly when we get back.

When I left Tera last night, she had taken 60cc in her bottle. Because she had taken less than 70, she would need to eat in three hours instead of four. When I got in this morning, I found that Tera had taken 80, 80, and 85 during her three meals last night. What a guzzler! Obviously, she's been eating every four hours, so her feeding times are a little different than they have been. Her next bottle would be at 9:30 this morning, and I made it in time to give it myself. After not eating for four hours, she was pretty hungry!

She took 75cc from me before passing out. This means that we would be able to wait another four hours before feeding her again. The doctors came by about 10:30, and I had to talk to them from behind my Curtain of Oz again. The Neonatologist seemed eager to get Tera into a crib. He instructed me to put clothes on her to help her hold her body temperature, and we will see how she does through the day. I reminded him that I didn't want to rush her, but he was pretty insistent. He said that by dressing her now and trying to get her into a crib, we could be saving her from an extra week in the hospital. Part of me is excited that we are moving forward, and part of me wonders what's so bad about an extra week if it means she'll develop at a more natural rate. The doc seemed pretty certain in his decision, so I didn't argue.

Just before he left, I asked him about feeding her every four hours. We had started this after his Rounds yesterday, and I wanted to hear from him that this was ok. I'm glad I asked. He wasn't in agreement with our decision. He says that Tera needs to eat at least eight times (every three hours) each day to help her gain weight at a good pace. Eating only six times (every four hours) could slow her weight gain. I didn't have time to think about it then, but later I realized that 80cc six times a day is the same volume as 60cc eight times a day (which is what she will now be getting). Of course, she can eat more than 60 if she wants it, so maybe the volume will be more than I am expecting. He's been doing this for decades, so I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

Once the doctors left, I follower orders and got her dressed. I was happy to see that this particular Preemie gown fit, and even had a little extra growing room.

I decided to put on a hat just to give her as much help as possible.

Tera gained a little bit of weight last night, enough to bump her up to 6 pounds 1 ounce. She is also 18 1/2 inches long now. After eleven weeks, she has gained 3 pounds 12 ounces and grown 3 inches. Quite a feat, I'd say.

My friend, Neha, brought me lunch and visited with Tera and me for a couple of hours. Neha lives in Denver, and we never see each other. There have been maybe two times in the last four years that we have both been in Birmingham at the same time and were able to get together for a short visit. I was so excited to see her today and catch up on her life. She took some pictures, and as soon as I get them from her, I'll add them here.

Neha got to watch Tera eat her 12:30 bottle. Because she had just eaten 75cc at 9:30, I wasn't expecting much. She didn't seem very awake when we started, but she started sucking immediately and did pretty good . . . until she started choking. She had also choked a couple of times during the night, and I worried that maybe we were pushing her too hard. The thing with Tera's choking is that it happens either right at the beginning (when she's not quite as alert as she should be) or at the very end (when she's exhausted from eating). We're going to have to work extra hard to wake her up at the beginning and find a way to keep her alert until the very end. It makes me wonder if I'm going to need to spend some more nights at the hospital in the coming days. Tera took almost 40cc before she and I both gave up. It was much more than I ever thought she would take, and I didn't want to risk another choking episode.

Lydia and Big Mom came by once Neha and I finished lunch.

During their visit, it was time for Tera to eat again. She took all 60cc with a side of choking. When will this stop!?

Big Mom was very excited to get to watch her eat.

We continued to play a little bit of dress-up, once again trying on the zebra hat to make sure it still fits.

I had to stretch it a little bit to fit it over her head, but it still fits well enough to look super cute. Lydia told me that the girl that made this hat also made an elephant hat for Xan. It has a trunk coming out of the front and big floppy ears on the side.

After Lydia and Big Mom left, I took a very short nap on the sofa. I've had a hard time going to sleep the last couple of nights. I think it's just anxiety about taking Tera home, but who knows? The last time I had this much trouble sleeping, I gave birth to a premature baby. It makes me a little bit nervous about what I need to be exhausted for next.

I gave Tera one last bottle before leaving the hospital - more choking - and letting her rest until time to eat (and probably choke) again.


What About Barry and Canon?
You might remember that Canon had to stay home from school today. Brittney sent me this picture of him.

He fell asleep on the way to get lunch. I wished Brittney luck in getting him back to sleep after this cat nap. She told me later that they had a great afternoon, so it must not have ruined him too badly!

I sure hope he got a good nap in to prepare for what was to come tonight. Today is Colt's 2nd birthday, and to celebrate, Colt, Canon, Luke, the Dads, and Mary went to Pizza Kastle (like a Chuck E Cheese). Mary and Barry sent me pictures throughout the night. I am so jealous!

Apparently, Canon is quite a serious Gamer.

Don't you think he has great form?!

I hope these guys continue to like each other as they grow up. I think a lot of our fun comes from forcing them to do things together! I'm only kidding. They really do have a great time when they play, and it's only getting easier the older they get.

And, yes. Canon is wearing his Thomas the Train pajama top with blue seersucker shorts. He needs his Mom!

Barry called as they were leaving Pizza Kastle to ask where the Tylenol was. Canon had fallen from a quite a height and hit his head. My first question: "Was Kyle still there?" Kyle was, in fact, still there, and he cleared Canon to take Tylenol instead of rushing to the ER to check for a concussion. Once home and dosed with a teaspoon of acetaminophen, they called back for some FaceTime. Lydia got a Slurpie from Canon tonight. She agreed it is as hilarious and heart-warming as I thought it was last night. I can't wait to get a live one on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment